Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Knot garden a go

I biked over to the nursery this morning and picked up 4 varieties of lettuce: red deer tongue, merlot, winter density and emerald oak. I couldn't find any frisee seeds. The pattern I'll use is a 3 foot square divided into four smaller squares in a window pane pattern overlaid with a 3 foot square set diagonal, like a diamond. The squares will be green, the diamond red. I hope it comes out okay, those seed packs weren't as cheap as I'd like. The instructions for sowing the nut garden indicated seed should be broadcast very densely.

I raked out a square of garden between the basil and the corn. There's still a fair amount of torn up cardboard that had been serving partly as mulch and partly as a barrier between the good soil and the bad. I'll keep it moist and keep turning it for the next week until the seeds have all germinated, but after that, any loose cardboard is going into the dumpster.

No comments: