Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lettuce knot garden

I'm all excited about doing a knot garden. But honestly, if I do it in herbs, it will have to wait until next year.

However, lettuce is a fall crop that I can start germinating any time now. I looked up various types of lettuces, and there would be plenty of different colored and textured greens to do this project with. I'd like to keep it simple, limit myself to straight lines and not more than 4 or 5 kinds of lettuce. A mix of cos heads, a mix of leaf lettuces and some fancy greens like curly endive (frisee) should look nice and keep me in greens for quite some time. There are some deeply colored reds available now including a very dark one called merlot. Rumor has it there is a black cultivar called Black velvet, but I'll believe it when I see a seed packet.

No comments: