Friday, July 18, 2008

Ziplock germination

I found a great seed germinating technique over at Uncle Tom's garden.

Sprinkle your seeds between two coffee filters, dampen and slide into labeled ziplocs. I don't have the appropriate kind of coffee filter, but I'm guessing that 2-ply paper towels that have been separated will provide the same effect. Currently I have 10 year old fennel seeds, the 4 recently purchased lettuce varieties, and 5 pumpkin seeds lounging on an end table in the living room.

3 of the 4 lettuces are growing squirrly white tails (roots). Soon I'll pack the plastic veggie bins that I've been saving with potting soil and poke them into dirt. I think I'll have to pick up some sort of copper flashing (a construction material) to rim the planned knot garden. Snails and slugs go crazy for tender lettuces.

No comments: